Saturday, March 12, 2011

[Rant] Wait... where are the Gundams?


So I've been going around asking people what they think about the big M8.9 Earthquake that devastated Japan with tremors and tsunamis last March 11, and here's a gist of what I got...

  • Oh, those poor people... holyshittheresacarthatsstillontheroadRUNFORYOURLIFE!!!
  • That shit is crazy... Glad I wasn't there.
  • I have a family member there... they haven't contacted us yet.  Worried shitless.
  • Wait... where are the Gundams?
  • WHAT ABOUT MY ANIMU!?
Well, I can't say much for the gundam question... but as for the anime, I was curious so I looked up the akiba blogs and whatnot and came across this interesting entry that basically shows what went down moments after the quake.

So the stores basically closed down, and people were asked to leave the area.  Well, not that surprising, really... but come around 7 in the evening, the streets of Akihabara could be seen filling up to the brim with otaku, and people started making their way into the stores - Sofmap being a notable exception by opening shop a good 1 hour ahead of the rest.

In the above picture, we see an eager-beaver taking claim to the spoils of eroge goodness in the light of the quake.  Yeah - go ahead and fap to your heart's content while North-eastern Japan burns to death.  Oh, and not to mention, we're about to hit a nuclear crisis at worst, and as I'm currently rationing my Nissin Cup Noodle Curry into 12 equal portions to last me the week, here you are making a moral decision over whether or not to buy the limited edition 11 eyes collector set with a dakimakura cover.  Oh the irony!!


Oh, how considerate of them.  Please don't use the elevators - but since we just came from an earthquake, THEWORLDISGONNAEND so buy all our shit, eat, drink and be fucking merry!!!


"ZOMFG, Kuroko didWHAT!?"  Yeah.  Otaku news at its finest.  Japan won't get any lower than this, unless someone decides to play a rerun of Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 on the Fuji network.  Next thing you know, they'll be ranting as to why the government didn't deploy the GUNDAMS to repel the on-coming tidal waves.  The silly fucks.


In the end, it's business as usual.  So long as there are otaku, there shall be animu.  Going back to seriousness - the anime schedules have been messed up a bit, but things should resume back to normal within the week, according to what people have been telling me.  I haven't heard wind of any mangaka dying or whatnot, so I guess our animu is safe... for now. D:

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to Reality My Friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. You worry about your noodles and I'll worry about my noodle. I guess everyone has their own priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to make it clear, I'm not mad or anything about what's going on in Akiba. I'm actually quite amused. Maybe it's their way of "de-stressing"? I dunno. Tsunami + mass mayhem = gotta trigger that flag event for Yamato-san. Yeah, fine world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my Japanese friends who went to my highschool back in grade 7 was actually having his graduation ceremony when the earthquake hit.
    I found it kind of weird that as soon as it did strike, he went on facebook to write a status saying "EAAAARTHQUAKEEE! fuck it shook heaps"

    ReplyDelete
  6. So...where are the gundams?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola! I've been following your weblog for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic job!

    Feel free to surf to my web site: great point

    ReplyDelete